When the April issue of House Beautiful arrived, I was excited to see that this month’s featured designs reflected a celebration of “the best traditional style now.” I waited until I could find a quiet moment to savor every page, and when I saw this kitchen designed by Connie Newberry of Gerald Bland, Inc., I knew I had to write about it. There are just SO many things to love about this beautiful space.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!
- Wide plank floors — aged to perfection!
- Farm table with fabulous (and somewhat unexpected) chairs
- Paneled banquette with a raised back — to hide all of the pots & pans used to make every delicious meal
- Vaughan lamps placed on the countertop — I love different types of lighting in a kitchen!
- Wire door fronts on select cabinets with a contrasting paint color on the interior adds just a pop of color
- Simple cabinet door style and hood (I’m liking the exposed hinges, too!)
- Is that a bar area off to the left with a separate sink and dishwasher? Delightful!
- Small kitchen desk with just enough space to get things done but not enough for piles of paper
- Striped rug underneath the table adds just the right amount of casualness to the space (great mix of high and low with the more formal lyre-back chairs, don’t you think?)
- The use of both mahogany and stone countertops adds just a little bit more interest and warmth
- And finally, I love the clean lines of the goose-neck faucet and simple polished cabinet hardware
Who says traditional has to be old-fashioned? I think today’s “new traditional” is a lasting look. House Beautiful is definitely onto something!